Friday 6 May 2011

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words

A friend of mine has a blog on Tumblr - http://watie.tumblr.com/ - which I just managed to spend about 2 hours looking at. She's put up some really inspiring and wonderful images on there.








I went to the Musee de Pompidou in Paris, France in February 2010. In the gallery they had an exhibition of Women very interesting, but also really weird. I have also visited The Louvre, home to some really wonderful pieces of art, and some very famous paintings, such as the Mona Lisa, and also some very famous statues, such as 'Aprodite' known as 'Venus de Milo'.





I find art so inspiring, but yet, so pointless! I can waste hours and hours looking at it, but not gain anything much from it, and it's not like it really has a purpose other than that.




I'm really very creative myself, but I just feel that what I create needs to have a purpose in life, like jewelry that can be worn, or cards that can be sent.






I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just don't understand 'Art'. Not in the photographic/sculptural kind of forms anyway. Deep down I know that I couldn't do without it. Alternatively, Music, film and literature I love without question.



Wikipedia describes art as:

'The product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect.

It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography,sculpture, and paintings.

The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, and even disciplines such as history and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.

Traditionally, the term 'art' was used to refer to any skill or mastery. 

This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science". 

Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions'





I'd love to get into Photography, I have friends that are really good at capturing a really beautiful image. But I've never been that great at it, maybe because I don't have the patience? Or maybe because I don't have a good enough camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment