Monday 16 May 2011

Eurovision 2011


So, I'm not going to lie, I absolutely LOVE Eurovision! My Uncle, who is touring Germany in some kind of acting troop managed to get tickets and was actually there!

This year (for the second year in a row) I didn't get to watch Eurovision live, thanks to that god awful hen night! (See the Hen Night blog post...) I've managed to avoid any tip-off's as to who won etc and so now I'm watching it currently via BBC iPlayer. So you can have my ongoing commentary.

First thing's first. What the bloody hell were Germany doing at the beginning?! Yeah, let's get 43 lookalike's of last years winner, Lena. Wtf. German's are mental!



Finland 2011
01 Finland - Wow, Finland's act is hot! I'd have voted for him just for that. Phwoar! Very different song to the one they won with a couple of years back - Lordi's 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' - A song I actually happen to have on iTunes.


02 Bosnia & Herzegovina - So clearly B&H are totally insane too. They seem like they've gone for a very Eastern European/Romany Gypsy style, fair enough really as that's where they're from...
03 Denmark - Really strange hairstyle and wardrobe choices, emo rocker it seems with the skinny jeans. Not a bad song though to be honest.
04 Lithuania - Loving her dress. Very boring song though... Don't get the sign language bit, as Graham Norton said, really shows they've thought about the deaf people that watch the show...
05 Hungary - Brilliant. This is much more Eurovisiony than the first five songs! She can't sing though... Love the three Hungarian Butcher-like men dancing about. Hilarious!


Graham Norton: 'Duncan from Blue has declared this to be his favourite song in the whole competition. Not sure if that says more about Duncan from Blue, or the whole competition...'


Jedward. Mental.
Jake (Tweenies)
06 Ireland - The one I've been waiting for. Jedward. Thought they'd have picked a different song. But this is a pretty catchy song 'Lipstick'. They also don't seem to be able to sing live... God knows how they got so far through the xfactor! Their backing singers seem to be even worse than them though?!
I think I've finally realised what Jedward remind me of - Jake from the tweenies.



Eric Sade of Sweden
07 Sweden - Wow. Why is he in a glass box?! Did he just smash his way out of it?! I do like their song though. And he's not bad looking either! Maybe even better than Finland?
Graham Norton: 'He looks like a nice boy that's fallen in with the wrong lot'




08 Estonia - Wtf. Actually awful. Costumes, props, choreography, the song. Don't think I can comment more than that!
09 Greece - Oh dear... Pretty impressive break-dancing though!
10 Russia - Not too bad really tbh. Apparently the song was written by the same guy that wrote Lady Gaga's Pokerface.
11 France - So he's supposed to be the youngest tenor in Europe or something. He's the only one that can sing so far, although he needs to brush his hair. I do like the scenery though.
12 Italy - They haven't been in the Eurovision Song Contest for 14 years, the last time we won too. Oh, not going to lie, I love their song. Yes Italy!
13 Switzerland - I also like this one. Apparently she was found by a musician or producer or someone while she was busking on the streets. Interesting...




One hour in. 2.5 hours left! Ouch.




Blue of the UK
14 United Kingdom - Blue, pretty popular in the UK in the 90's. Singing 'I Can'. Surprising that they'd want to do something like this, but I suppose if they get popular again from it, then that might explain it.


15 Moldova - Bloody hell. Definitely insane enough to win. Why is there a fairy/pixie riding about on a unicycle!? Wow. Loving the mental hats haha!
Moldova...




16 Germany - Lena, last year's winner defending her title. She actually isn't that bad. And she's pretty attractive. Don't really understand why there's people in those body suits dancing about... 
Graham Norton 'If dancers can look that bad in those costumes, imagine what normal people would look like!'




17 Romania - Love how Romania was represented by Romanian Grafitti artists living in Germany. What's going on with their exuberant piano player and the stripy trousers and tartan waistcoat combination!?! Haha!


18 Austria - Not the worst song ever... Insane heels!
19 Azerbaijan - I quite like the song, not so great performed live though. I have a feeling I've heard it before. Maybe on the radio? Weird!
Ukraine's Sand Painting...
20 Slovenia - Wow, that dress! I think I like this song too. Rather a lot of cleavage going on here..!


Don't worry, just 5 left... :S


21 Iceland & 22 Spain - No significant comments... Getting bored!
Serbia revisiting the 60's...


23 Ukraine - Sand Painting?! Yet again, Loving the dress...


24 Serbia - Oh hello 60's! It's a Serbian version of Austin Powers or something. Scary Shit!


25 Georgia - Save the best til last? Or not... Holy shit. Wtf is going on with her dress! Haha. I do like it tho, a bit...

The end. Thank god. I love it, I really do. But this year's was just a bit tedious!

And now the results...



Oh my god! 4 countries have voted and the UK are top on the scoreboard?! Wowee!


The final scoreboard:




Ok, so Azerbaijan won with 221. The United Kingdom with 100 in 11th place, did 10 times better than last year! Azerbaijan weren't even that great?! Madness!


Turns out I definitely have heard it before, on the radio...




So the first thing I do, google flights and hotels to Azerbaijan for May 2012. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment