Friday 6 May 2011

Don't worry, there's still one prince left!



So I'm not going to lie, I have been super excited about this whole royal wedding palaver ever since Wills and Kate announced their engagement last November. I've been following it avidly on the news, in the papers and magazines - if they had a realistic and factual biographical novel (not written by the Sun) about their lives and the wedding I'd totally be buying it! Potentially I've been feeling so attached to the whole thing because my full first and middle names are exactly the same as Kate's.

Months before the big event I had it all marked in my diary, planning on watching it intently with friends at the pub or some such other social place - I was pretty tempted to go to London and camp out like the thousands of other mental people, but I had a lot of other stuff to do that weekend, plus, I'm not completely obsessed...!? So on the morning of Friday 29th April 2011 I was utterly devastated to find I had the worst hangover ever, bad enough to prevent my watching of the Royal Wedding even on the TV!



Thankfully the dear BBC stuck a good 11 hours of footage on iPlayer and I've been having a great time working my way through the televised joy!
Just now I have finally finished the 5.5 hours of full uninterrupted coverage of the wedding! (A week late I know...)



Kate's Wedding Dress 2011
Kate's Evening Dress

Diana's Wedding Dress 1981
Now onto the most important thing. The dress... Catherine, now Duchess of Cambridge, wore a spectacular dress with lace appliqué bodice and skirt, worn with a veil. The royal dress was designed by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, a British designer. The lace appliqué design is said to detail a rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock to represent each nation of the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland respectively), although not a huge fan of lace, I am definitely a massive fan of symbols and I thought that this was really nice touch, and cleverly done. I believe it shows pretty good patriotism from the future Queen of England. To be honest overall I love it! Ultimately I thought it was quite timelessly styled, a lot better than Diana's choice which was very 80's puff... Although expecting a longer train, it was a reasonable and grand enough length. I was surprised that it was long sleeved, albeit lace sleeves, not that I was expecting sleeve-less (seeing as she's a future Queen, modesty is key!) but it is uncommon to see longer-sleeved dresses at the moment. Additionally, Kate wore her hair down with a tiara, which was, although common among 'commoners' didn't think would be the choice of style for the fiancé of Prince William (I know that Diana did, but her hair was shorter).


Kate's evening dress was also beautiful and simple, also made by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen. This was strapless, unlike the bridal gown, and made from white satin gazar with a circle skirt and diamante embroidered detail round the waist. I really liked her bolero jacket and the shape of the dress. Between the wedding and the evening dresses of Catherine, I think I prefer the evening dress. Personally it's just more my style and as I mentioned before, I'm not a massive fan of lace - and the shape is more simple too.



The Flowers! I really enjoy the creams and deep greens that seem to be a floral colour scheme for Royal Wedding flowers, Kate's flowers were a lot more elegant ultimately than Diana's I think. William and Catherine appear to have chosen to have a really simple wedding.


My official verdict is that she's a lucky bitch and that I'm extremely jealous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment