Tuesday 26 April 2011

Third time lucky

First post and it's one filled with good news, for today, after two previous attempts I have finally passed my driving test!!

Earlier however, I worked out just how much money I have spent on driving lessons and tests over the last two and a half years, and it came to over £1000, an utterly shocking figure!

Equally depressing is that now I can legally drive I have the financial burden of getting a car and insurance. (I do in fact already own a car, a 1991 white Rover Metro with no MOT, Tax or insurance, or even life left in it!) Luckily for me, a few weeks ago my Aunt offered me my cousin's old black ford fiesta for free, so I'm awaiting news see if that's still available, in which case I only have to worry about insurance. After browsing 'comparethemarket.com' and direct line for car insurance quotes, I found out that the average insurance cost for a 20 yr old female noobie driver comes to approximately £1800 - a pretty extortionate amount if you ask me! Interestingly enough it appears that young drivers in Northern Ireland have it even worse, according to a BBC News article.

But I ask, how exactly young people are meant to cope these days when daily essentials are getting increasingly more and more expensive; just purchasing car insurance is majorly breaking the bank and jumping on the housing ladder seems like a endlessly impossible challenge for people with money to spare, let alone those even without savings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment